Emma and I attended our first film today at the theatre. "Curious George" - what a silly monkey. On our way there, Emma kept asking, "Where's the DVD dad?Emma wasn't sure what to think at first as she announced while we were in the painfully long popcorn line, "Where's the movie dad? Up those stairs, is there an elevator?"
After our $12 popcorn and pop, we made our way to theatre #7. Emma kept asking, "Why are the lights off dad?" I opened the theatre door carrying a one gallon drink, popcorn, a dolly, her jacket and a pocket full of smuggled treats. Unexpectedly, she put on the brakes as soon as she saw the lighted strips lining the way in with me almost head over heals.
Once inside, she yelled, "Hey dad, that's the monkey on Madagascar!" I managed to find two seats next to one another (there were a lot of little bugga's in there), sit down, first the drink as it wouldn't be the first time I've dropped one of those, then sit the popcorn down on the sticky floor, then the jacket (try doing that while sitting). Emma, in the meantime, was looking around wondering where her chair was as a spring-loaded seat is something she's never seen before. Dad had to first remove her second jacket and then hold the seat while instructing her how to sit down. "Dad, can I take off my boots?" How do you tell your daughter (while whispering) that if she stepped on the floor in her socks, she'd never move again!? The whack of napkins daddy remembered hit the floor before we got butter on the fingers I'm afraid. I managed to find a spot for the popcorn next to her leg, good thing as her little hands wasted no time finding it. Even though I remembered to get her veggie-juice out of the fridge, her little whisper reminded me, "You forgot my juice in the truck dad." Oh well chicken, you're having iced tea.
We managed to polish off about half the popcorn when she reminded me that we had Smarties from home in my pocket. Within minutes, she bent over to check her underwear out when, ping ping - bouncing Smarties. "Dad, umm, are those clean dad?" I remembered the second box I'd packed in case of such an emergency. I looked over and she had wrestled the ice cream pail of iced tea onto her lap and began sucking it down.
Emma laughed at the movie and sat at attention throughout most of it but the last ten minutes saw the sugar kick in. She could no longer sit down and no longer remain still. Bouncing on the end of her seat - kids in the back had an obstructed view! There'd be chaos if it didn't cease!
As the credits rolled and kiddies poured out, Emma announced, "Let's dance dad!" With only a few 'less fortunate kids' left eating popcorn from the floor, Emma stood in the isle and danced. The 'broom-boy' didn't think it was all that cute as the place was a bloody mess - Emma hadn't a care in the world and got her money's worth - or shall I say daddy's.
------------------------------------------------
Grand Total = $25.00
1 comment:
OH Man, you brought tears to my eyes!! I was seriously laughing that hard!! Love the Daddy's rendition of the events! I think the best thing is that you described it in exactly the way I would imagine it happening! And you totally captured the essence of the movie theatre experience! I'm sending you a pat on the back for surviving your first theatre trip! Well done!...Lucky she didn't have to go to the bathroom part way through!
Post a Comment